BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#102349 - 09/08/09 10:40 PM i need a new ball....... HELP!
sharnothegreat Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 25/m/FL
ok so im realizing now that this track ball was big mistake and i really wish i would have taken the 100 dollars total that i had to spend with drilling it and used it to buy a brand new lower end to mid level ball that probably would have been better for me to start with and learn. also since the ball is an x-out, i have no idea whats wrong with it.

so with that being said, i want to start fresh with a lower end to a mid level ball more geared towards the medium oil of my house lanes. in another thread about this i was recommended the columbia freeze so at this time that is my top choice. but i have a question about this ball, i read that this ball is like a mid level ball with a low end price. so my question is will this ball last me for a while through my first league because i cant afford to buy a whole arsenal of balls at this time. should i get a ball thats a little higher in performance than the freeze.

sorry this is getting long but im new and im trying to do this the right way. if anyone has any ball suggestions besides the freeze please feel free to post them up and tell me why you think it would be good for me. i have only been learning how to hook for 3 weeks i like to stand on the right and throw the ball down somewhere in the 5 to 10 board range and have it go straight down and as of right now at least until i get some coaching my revs are pretty low and my speed is about 15 i would guess from the speed sensor at the bowling alley, but i wouldnt be against throwing with more speed.

ok thanks to anyone who took the time to read this very long post and i appreciate the help.
justin

arsenal:
Hammer-Raw Hammer ACID
Brunswick-Zone spare

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#102350 - 09/08/09 11:07 PM Re: i need a new ball....... HELP! [Re: sharnothegreat]
hamma Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 17/m/AL
Well honestly if you want a cheap, good bowling ball. I would personally go for the brunswick power groove, or the brunswick avalanch, or even the hammer razyr. All these ball's are great high performance balls at low price.

I have a brunswick power groove, that I've had for 4 years now. Of course it isn't my primary ball. But i've shot many good games with it. And tend to pull it out of the bag from time to time.

But if you wanna spend a little more money and get a good high performance ball, I would go for the Hammer Black Widow Pearl. I have this ball and absolutely love it. Everyone I know who has it also love it as well.

But it's all personal opinion really.

#102351 - 09/08/09 11:34 PM Re: i need a new ball....... HELP! [Re: hamma]
sharnothegreat Offline
Bracket Donor

well i dont want to go super cheap, im willing to spend a little more as long as it can last me a while. the freeze is 120 drilled and id be willing to go up to 150-160 but i want a ball that will help me learn and not be beyond my skill level. i will add that my average with the track ball is probably between 165-170 and my 4 high games are 231 223 205 193 all within the last 9 days but those are spread out over like 20 games. so i guess thats not too bad for 3 weeks with this ball. but anyways keep the suggestions coming

hamma ill keep yours in mind but i think the BWP might be a little too high performance for me just yet, maybe the avalanch would be a good option, anyone correct me if im wrong.

thanks
Justin

arsenal:
Hammer-Raw Hammer ACID
Brunswick-Zone spare

#102352 - 09/08/09 11:45 PM Re: i need a new ball....... HELP! [Re: sharnothegreat]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 21/M/Tacoma, WA
The Freeze is probably the best bang for your buck right now. You could get that, or maybe a Vibe or Avalanche. I would definitely lean towards the Freeze though.

#102354 - 09/09/09 12:07 AM Re: i need a new ball....... HELP! [Re: Jay R.]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
I wouldn't go with the Groove or the Rayzr, since they have little core power. Perhaps the Hammer Vibe series.

The Freeze, Ebonite Boom and Brunswick Avalance are really good balls to get your feet wet. An adult will not tend to grow out of them in a month or so, like some of the lesser balls.

Erin

#102358 - 09/09/09 12:50 AM Re: i need a new ball....... HELP! [Re: Atochabsh]
sharnothegreat Offline
Bracket Donor

thanks for your comments both of you, im leaning farther and farther to the freeze. any idea of what kind of drilling pattern i should try to have? or should i just let the Pro Shop guy take care of that ?

thanks
Justin

arsenal:
Hammer-Raw Hammer ACID
Brunswick-Zone spare

#102360 - 09/09/09 01:48 AM Re: i need a new ball....... HELP! [Re: sharnothegreat]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
At this stage, let the Pro Shop guy decide. A controllable label drill will be best. As long as you get a ball with a decent pin to cg measurement like 3" you'll be fine. Get something 1/2" or 1" or 6+" now you have a ball you have to work around its internal dynamics to make it work for you. YOu don't want that.

Erin

#102376 - 09/09/09 08:58 AM Re: i need a new ball....... HELP! [Re: Atochabsh]
sharnothegreat Offline
Bracket Donor

ok thanks a lot for your help. the Pro Shop guy that im going to get it from is really helpful and gave me a lot of info the first day we met so im sure he will take good care of me.

arsenal:
Hammer-Raw Hammer ACID
Brunswick-Zone spare

#102378 - 09/09/09 09:38 AM Re: i need a new ball....... HELP! [Re: sharnothegreat]
lmfcoa Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: Chicagoland
I haven't thrown any of their stuff yet (waiting to get a New Breed drilled up), but what about the Visionary stuff? From what I heard it's a great bang for the buck!

PAP: 5 1/8 x 3/4 up || Speed: 17.78 || Revs: 314 || Rotation: 65* || Tilt: 15*

#102390 - 09/09/09 12:22 PM Re: i need a new ball....... HELP! [Re: lmfcoa]
Reconbbs Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 21/Male/York Pennsylvania
Visionary makes great equipment. Ask Joe Bowler about them. He throws a lot of visionary equipment. I have a visionary amb centaur solid that I love. I haven't used it lately because I've fallen in love with my black widow bite haha.

Hammer Black Widow Bite
DV8 Misfit
DV8 Reckless
Visionary AMB Centaur

High Game-300x2
High Series-836

Fall League Averages
Tuesday 234
Thursday 225

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Mkirchie - 10/14/18 12:15 PM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.