BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#38324 - 01/10/07 01:44 PM Re: Tourney questions and concerns [Re: D Money]
Show300 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 33/M/Bellflower, CA
What ABT association are you bowling in? I'm in So. Cal. and I bowl in the ABT Orange County Branch, but I've also bowled a few Citrus Belt tournaments out in Riverside/San Bernadino County.

Anyway, most of the ABT O.C. Branch tournaments are one day, beat the board events. Basically, you show up for a squad, bowl 4 games (moving one pair to the right after each game) and try to place as high on the board as you can. You are given handicap based on your average. I think for us it's 80% of 200. Games over 200 put you on plus side, under 200 puts you on the minus side (that includes handicap). I don't think our division of ABT allows you to bowl more than two squads. As for the shot, I don't know if I'd call it a sport shot, unless they specifically say that on the advertisement for the tournament. It's usually different from house to house. In some houses, a +80 won't even get you in a cash place on the board, in others I've seen a +23 win a tournament. All depends on the shot that day in that particular house.

If there is a qualifier and semis following it's usually bowled PBA style, but only one game and the winner moves on. Then the final 5 bowl a stepladder format to determine the champion. Those are usually two day tournaments, with the squads bowled the first day and the top 10-15 seeds coming back to compete for the finals.

As far as what you can wear, usually if it's your first couple of tournaments they allow you to wear polo or bowling type shirt. After a few tournaments (at least our branch does), they require you to have a polo or shirt with your name on the back, and I think it's up to the bowler to decide if just last name or first and last. But I'm sure the ABT director can answer that question for you.

Don't think too much about the shot. It seems like you're already setting yourself up for a fall. You get 10 min of practice time, so use it wisely to figure out how the lanes are playing. In most ABT tournaments, you'll only have 4 bowlers on a pair, so the shot shouldn't change too drastically, but again it all depends on how the lanes were dressed to begin with. Just make your adjustments as necessary.

So go in there, pay your money and just bowl. There are many ways to win money in ABT, i.e. side pots, mystery pots, brackets...so don't focus on just trying to win. If you do, that's great, but if it's your first tournament, then just focus on gaining some tournament experience. In my first tournament exposure (also ABT), I had to learn not to worry about the guy next to me stringing six or seven, because it was giving me too much to think about. Just go out and do the best you can.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it, and hopefully the experience will push you to advance your game so that someday you can wear an ABT Champion shirt. I still don't have one, but I don't bowl ABT as much as I used to...as a matter of fact, one of my bowling resolutions is to win an ABT tourney this year.

Have fun and good luck...

Edited by Show300 (01/10/07 01:47 PM)
And though I have the gift of prophecy and understand all mysteries and possess unlimited knowledge, and have faith which could remove mountains; and have not charity, I am nothing - 1 Corinthians 13:2

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted
Tourney questions and concerns D Money 01/10/07 01:01 PM
Re: Tourney questions and concerns Brandon510 01/10/07 01:26 PM
Re: Tourney questions and concerns Brian Longo 01/10/07 01:36 PM
Re: Tourney questions and concerns Lefty 01/10/07 01:47 PM
Re: Tourney questions and concerns Show300 01/10/07 01:44 PM
Re: Tourney questions and concerns Atochabsh 01/10/07 01:58 PM
Re: Tourney questions and concerns D Money 01/10/07 02:18 PM
Re: Tourney questions and concerns SoCal Jeff 01/10/07 02:26 PM
Re: Tourney questions and concerns Lefty 01/10/07 02:34 PM
Re: Tourney questions and concerns Atochabsh 01/10/07 03:00 PM
Re: Tourney questions and concerns Show300 01/10/07 03:28 PM
Re: Tourney questions and concerns D Money 01/17/07 03:07 PM
Re: Tourney questions and concerns Show300 01/17/07 03:49 PM
Re: Tourney questions and concerns Dennis Michael 01/17/07 03:55 PM
Re: Tourney questions and concerns Lefty 01/17/07 04:03 PM
Re: Tourney questions and concerns D Money 01/17/07 07:26 PM
Re: Tourney questions and concerns Silent Mike 01/18/07 05:44 AM
Re: Tourney questions and concerns Brandon510 01/18/07 10:35 AM

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Friends made a dumb bet
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:50 PM
Difference between shammy & microfiber towel
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:49 PM
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.