BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#200119 - 01/30/20 06:04 PM Re: What to do? [Re: RGR]
82Boat69 Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 71/M/California
As a person who grew up in the 60's cranking industrial diamonds, I've had to work extra hard on learning 'not' to hit up on the ball at the bottom and to simply allow the ball to come off my hand right next to my left foot.

I've also re-drilled some of my balls to read whatever friction there is as soon as possible. I would also consider buying a urethane ball. I use the Hammer Black Widow Urethane. Urethane allows me to invert the hockey-stick shape of my hook profile. Instead of a long skid phase, I have a short skid and a long roll.

As I've aged I've become an area-bowler. Instead of trying to pick out a distinct target, I look down the lane for my intended break-point and then visualize back toward the arrows to get an idea of where I need to be. This is where the pros show how great they are. Watching them start in front of a ball return with just 3 steps to keep their shots inside is what makes them so much better than us.

Rev-rate is not based just on RPM's off the hand. It's based more on speed and roll as the ball reads friction. Learning to let the ball do most of the work is the secret. I'm lucky, I almost throw a full roller. I get a lot of ball on the lane with moderate ball surfaces. Others need to buy balls that may be very aggressive to get the same result. A ball thrown at 16 mph with 275 rpm's, once it gets into a roll will almost double it's rev-rate by the time it hits the pocket. Watch some of the best women to see this phenomenon.

What this also says, a person needs to work on technique to play all the lines that tournaments may throw at us. I use to fear oil. Now I look at oily shots as an advantage for me. My weakness are really dry lanes. I can get the ball down the lane okay, but too often by the time I hit the pocket, my ball is DOA and I leave the weak 10 or on middle hits the 7-10. I just moved back up to 15 pounds in an effort to fix this.

Finally, reading the lane transitions early and letting the lanes tell you what to do is the secret. Watch each of your shots to see where the ball leaves the alley in the pit. Deflection is the enemy. A ball needs to go off on the left side of the 9 pin. Just a 1/2 inch too much deflection can result in a ringing 10 or a flat 10. This is especially true when we're unable to create lots of angle.

youtube is full of videos to show a person how to work on everything they might ever need. Too many of us look in the Pro Shop for help rather than our own games.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted
What to do? RGR 01/28/20 02:53 PM
Re: What to do? djp1080 01/28/20 05:17 PM
Re: What to do? RGR 01/30/20 04:10 PM
Re: What to do? 82Boat69 01/30/20 06:04 PM
Re: What to do? 82Boat69 01/28/20 07:17 PM
Re: What to do? Dennis Michael 01/31/20 08:55 AM
Re: What to do? Mkirchie 02/01/20 07:45 AM
Re: What to do? Dennis Michael 01/31/20 09:03 AM
Re: What to do? 82Boat69 01/31/20 09:48 AM

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - Yesterday at 06:01 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.