BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#195945 - 11/24/16 11:04 AM Re: A closer look at hook release of Marshall Kent [Re: W9JAB]
82Boat69 Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 71/M/California
When I was a kid in the 60's, we were always told turn the ball not your wrist.

The only glove in those days was a Don Carter glove which was kind of like a golf glove with a raised pad that forced the ball on to the fingers and thumb. Most people just tucked their little finger which created the same effect.

If a person then spread their index finger and stayed behind the ball, the combination accentuated an early thumb exist and created a great deal of axis rotation as the fingers cleared. A straight, firm wrist also helped.

Today, all that isn't necessary. I may be committing heresy, but I'm not sure gloves of any kind are necessary with modern bowling balls.

Most people probably lose RPM's wearing a glove. It may give them a more consistent release, but I'm not convinced they get more leverage or more RPM's. I'm not sure those who wear gloves allow their wrists and forearms to relax enough to throw a ball with optimum efficiency. I'm sure many women would disagree.

From previous discussions, speed out of the hook phase and RPM's are what create conditions for the best carry, assuming the ball hits the pocket. Any device that limits speed or RPM's has to be questioned.

As a matter of release our hands will rotate as the thumb comes out, the ball begins to tilt and then the fingers clear. Allowing that to happen with a completely relaxed hand seems to be the best way.

This may all be mute for those who didn't learn to turn the ball in their youth. I don't know anyone who is raising their RPM's dramatically if they don't already know how to do it.

Some kind of perverted muscle memory that keeps people stuck between stroker, tweener and crankers. You can take stuff off the ball but its really hard to learn to put stuff on the ball.

Finally, for those who don't get a lot on the ball, should they try to learn to crank or just drill their ball for the way they do release the ball and optimize their delivery that way?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted
A closer look at hook release of Marshall Kent mrthang 11/23/16 11:09 PM
Re: A closer look at hook release of Marshall Kent W9JAB 11/24/16 09:47 AM
Re: A closer look at hook release of Marshall Kent 82Boat69 11/24/16 11:04 AM
Re: A closer look at hook release of Marshall Kent champ 11/24/16 11:34 AM
Re: A closer look at hook release of Marshall Kent djp1080 11/24/16 01:03 PM
Re: A closer look at hook release of Marshall Kent 82Boat69 11/24/16 05:07 PM
Re: A closer look at hook release of Marshall Kent champ 11/24/16 11:39 PM
Re: A closer look at hook release of Marshall Kent mrthang 11/24/16 10:51 PM
Re: A closer look at hook release of Marshall Kent champ 11/24/16 10:51 AM
Re: A closer look at hook release of Marshall Kent mrthang 11/24/16 10:40 PM
Re: A closer look at hook release of Marshall Kent SteveH 11/26/16 03:10 PM

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by BOSStull - 34 minutes 15 seconds ago
USBC Rule 12
by BOSStull - 50 minutes 34 seconds ago
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by BOSStull - Today at 10:16 AM
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 09/12/19 12:24 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.