BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#191444 - 05/10/15 07:12 PM Re: Columbia 300 Eruption Pro Hybrid [Re: iwanttoimprove]
iwanttoimprove Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 58/M/Illinois
Well, an Eruption Pro Hybrid literally fell into my hands this past week. They had one on eBay that was a "misdrilled" ball. It also was supposed to have never been used. The seller was taking offers, so I thought, I'll offer $20 less than he's asking, and see if he'll take it. He did! And, on Wednesday of this past week, I received My Pro HYBRID. This ball was like new, and had the most beautiful plugging job done on it, that I'd ever seen!

I don't know, now that I've seen the hybrid up close, and personal, Barnes may have been using its predecessor, the Eruption Pro. I need to look at that video again. I base that revised opinion on the release date of the ball, which in this case was October 14 for the Hybrid, and one year earlier for the Eruption Pro (non-hybrid). Though I think that pros many times have access to the new bowling balls before we do.

So, I got it drilled prior to my Senior color pin session, and I promptly had my best session, since I started bowling with the seniors, off and on, for the past couple of months.

Now, I hope I'm not jumping to conclusions about this ball, as I've only used it for 3 games, plus the practice for those 3 games. But, the first time I threw it, In practice, I couldn't believe the left hand turn this ball made once it got to what I guess is "the spot". It actually ended up going high, leaving a 3-6 I think. So, went over to the other lane, made a slightly educated guess at where I should stand and where I should target this new ball. I ended up standing a little bit left of where I'd been playing with other balls, like Pyramids Origin Pearl ball, and boom, a strike. I don't remember what the rest of my practice session was like, as I've not been feeling well, and I didn't want to overdo it.

For the 3 game session, I had about 15 strikes. I know, in the second game, I had 8 strikes, including a 5 bagger. My spare shooting has been horrendous, since I started bowling again, and I think I've got part of it figured out. I need a new thumb slug put in my spare ball, because, due to medical problems, I've lost 30 to 40 lbs off of an 155 to 160 frame. That's a big loss, off of a guy who is that small to begin with.

The best I ever did with the Cell, 5 years ago, during league, was 22 strikes in a 3 game set. The lanes had some sort of plastic or Teflon coating back then, and you had to have a heavy oil ball, if you are a stroker like I am. Since they've removed the plastic (or whatever it was), a stroker needs a medium oil ball.

And, I think the lanes were a little dryer than usual, based on ball reaction. I also came to that conclusion because I got there early, to get my ball drilled. Any other time, when I've gotten there early, I've seen them oil our lanes. I didn't see them oil our lanes, even though I got there early for this session. Now, maybe they oiled them prior to our session. But, I can't help but wonder if they didn't oil our lanes on this particular day.

Back to the Hybrid, it just hits the pins like a Mac truck. I only use a 14 lb ball, and it still gave me strikes on light hits, and when I went through the nose. And, the first two games, before I got tired out on the third game, it was kicking out the 10 pin on a regular basis. The third game, I was tired, and many times I didn't release the ball well, or threw it slower than I had been, so I left a couple of 10s. But, that was more my fault, than the ball's fault.

The other thing that it did, that my Cell does well, was to pick up the 7 pin, or the 4-7 combination. With my Cell, I liked to stand on the right side of the lane and aim towards the 2nd arrow, with a relaxed ball speed, and watch it cross the entire lane, before picking up the spare. The same goes for the 4 or 4-7, with a little more speed. Some will think, why doesn't he use his spare ball and go straight. But, I just got into the habit of picking these spares up this way, and probably have a 95% success rate, so I'm going to keep on doing it this way. The Pyramid Origins Pearl couldn't do it.

To sum it all up, I like the way the ball hits on the back-end, I like the way it feels in my hand, when I'm on the approach, it just gives me the confidence that I'm going to strike every time I walk onto the approach. I like the way it kicks out the 10 pin, or at times gives you strikes when you go through the nose. I also like that I can basically use my "strike" ball to pick up spares on at least half the rack. And, it's a great looking ball, going down the alley.

So, we'll see how it does next week, and I'll add comments after that.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted
Columbia 300 Eruption Pro Hybrid iwanttoimprove 03/01/15 04:31 PM
Re: Columbia 300 Eruption Pro Hybrid goobee 03/01/15 05:08 PM
Re: Columbia 300 Eruption Pro Hybrid Dave800 03/01/15 05:46 PM
Re: Columbia 300 Eruption Pro Hybrid iwanttoimprove 03/01/15 10:07 PM
Re: Columbia 300 Eruption Pro Hybrid goobee 03/02/15 02:39 AM
Re: Columbia 300 Eruption Pro Hybrid iwanttoimprove 03/02/15 09:17 AM
Re: Columbia 300 Eruption Pro Hybrid champ 03/02/15 11:44 AM
Re: Columbia 300 Eruption Pro Hybrid iwanttoimprove 03/02/15 03:18 PM
Re: Columbia 300 Eruption Pro Hybrid champ 03/02/15 04:40 PM
Re: Columbia 300 Eruption Pro Hybrid champ 03/02/15 04:46 PM
Re: Columbia 300 Eruption Pro Hybrid iwanttoimprove 03/02/15 08:03 PM
Re: Columbia 300 Eruption Pro Hybrid iwanttoimprove 03/02/15 08:43 PM
Re: Columbia 300 Eruption Pro Hybrid goobee 03/02/15 09:16 PM
Re: Columbia 300 Eruption Pro Hybrid iwanttoimprove 03/03/15 09:43 PM
Re: Columbia 300 Eruption Pro Hybrid rrb6699 (RayRay) 03/06/15 09:23 AM
Re: Columbia 300 Eruption Pro Hybrid iwanttoimprove 03/03/15 09:07 PM
Re: Columbia 300 Eruption Pro Hybrid iwanttoimprove 05/10/15 07:12 PM
Re: Columbia 300 Eruption Pro Hybrid iwanttoimprove 05/11/15 05:14 PM

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
This is a damned shame
by djp1080 - 10/17/20 08:32 PM
Undercover Boss Bowlero
by BOSStull - 10/12/20 07:16 PM
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 10:12 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:39 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:32 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.