BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
The Bowler's Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: Informal poll by champ @ Yesterday at 07:05 PM

I used to think about layouts a lot but it didn't translate to pins on my average or having any more fun. Now, I have two layouts I put on everything. I've also never found a dull surface that can carry for me on a house shot. I have a very rolly r
Beginner Help
Jump to new posts Time to throw the ball by soulman327 @ Yesterday at 05:53 PM

Hello all, After watching for 4 months it's time to start posting. I last bowled in a league 40 years ago. Started again 5 months ago, plus now throwing a fingertip ball and learning to throw a hook. Do fairly well most of the time...biggest pro
The Bowler's Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: Informal poll by Dennis Michael @ Yesterday at 02:36 PM

hmmm, I watched that video and picked out the pin under each time. The added length of the pin over drill was easy to see, (out to the 7 board). It got out farther on the lane when over 4th arrow and snapped more. The pin under balls never made it
The Bowler's Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: Informal poll by djp1080 @ Yesterday at 02:21 PM

I have Powerhouse Extender Polish and Storm's Xtra Shine. I have never used either (and no intention of) on a reactive resin ball. I only use these on my urethane Polar Ice or Mix spare balls to make sure they go straight. The matte finished balls th
The Bowler's Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: Hype Versus Reality by 82Boat69 @ Yesterday at 01:50 PM

I was fortunate enough to work in a bowling alley when I was a kid. There weren't any lane machines back then. We simply filled a bug sprayer with lane conditioner and walked backwards laying the conditioner down, gutter to gutter and for 60 feet.
The Bowler's Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: Informal poll by 82Boat69 @ Yesterday at 01:12 PM

I don't know how bowling ball makers polish their balls. I could probably find a youtube to show me. When I buy a new ball, I always polish it with Extender Polish before I ever use it. I never have a problem with my equipment soaking up oil. I
The Bowler's Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: Informal poll by djp1080 @ Yesterday at 12:22 PM

The bowling ball companies publish only certain criteria that are important. They tell you additional information regarding the what the coverstock is, a little about the actual finish (polished / matte, etc.) and a little about the core (like a pict
The Bowler's Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: Informal poll by Fin09 @ Yesterday at 12:21 PM

I have an idea what I want a ball to do on what condition, and my PSO suggests the angles and distances needed to get the desired reaction.
Leagues & Sport Bowling
Jump to new posts Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread by Fin09 @ Yesterday at 12:19 PM

With 2 weeks to go in the 2nd 3rd, we wrapped up our division (league is divided into 3 separate divisions, each division will roll off to get to a final 4 team rolloff, which will include one wild card team). So we've now won the first 2 thirds, and
The Bowler's Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: Informal poll by mmalsed @ Yesterday at 12:07 PM

I typically speak with my PSO. I know what I know and I know what I don't know (or at least I know when I start to wander outside my sandbox. . .) I know enough to have an intelligent discussion with him, but I let him be the expert on drilling a
The Bowler's Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: Hype Versus Reality by djp1080 @ Yesterday at 12:05 PM

The THS I bowl on I believe is 41 feet. Yesterday morning during warm up I found I had to start by standing on board 32 with the inside of my slide foot and was targeting around board 14 or 15 to keep the ball in play. I guess the lanes were pretty u
The Bowler's Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: Informal poll by 82Boat69 @ Yesterday at 10:11 AM

Symmetrical balls do have a max bias (PSA). If you draw a straight line from the pin through the CG, the max bias will be located 6-3/4 inches beyond the CG on that line. Because it always falls in the same place on symmetrical balls, it doesn't ne
The Bowler's Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: Informal poll by Dennis Michael @ Yesterday at 08:56 AM

well, I don't like dual angle drilling. And, have no balls with a PSA mark, as all are symmetrical. My main specs are RG and Diff; >2.52 RG and lower then .032 Diff. From there, I move the pin above/outside for leverage drill and more length.
The Bowler's Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: Hype Versus Reality by Dennis Michael @ Yesterday at 08:50 AM

I have friends who succumb to the hype. buy new balls ev 3 months. But, they drill it the same on all balls. one drilling doesn't necessarily say it will work on another ball.
The Bowler's Lounge
Jump to new posts Informal poll by 82Boat69 @ Yesterday at 07:40 AM

When buying a new bowling ball; How many know enough about bowling ball parameters, PSA drilling or dual angle drilling to instruct their PSO about what they want done? How many just accept what their PSO gives them?
Leagues & Sport Bowling
Jump to new posts Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread by Richie V. @ 02/21/18 10:29 PM

Tonight's bowling, frame-by-frame One good game, but then I seemed to run out of gas, as I missed a lot of spares and only had one double after the first game. It was unseasonably warm, which might have contributed to my late weakness. Result: 209-
The Bowler's Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: Hype Versus Reality by 82Boat69 @ 02/21/18 10:01 PM

We have a 40' shot which forces everyone outside the 7 board to escape the oil. As you described, for those without enough hand, recovering from that far right in just 20 feet makes everyone think they need more ball or a more aggressive drilling.
The Bowler's Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: Hype Versus Reality by Mkirchie @ 02/21/18 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By: 82Boat69I'm not trying to change anyone's mind or stomp on their hope, but bowling has enough issues without ball manufacturers preying on bowlers by hyping equipment that won't deliver because of the limitations of the bowlers
The Bowler's Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: Hype Versus Reality by 82Boat69 @ 02/21/18 04:13 PM

The current version of VLS is the same version I looked at a couple of years ago. I've never downloaded the 5 day free trial of Blueprint, choosing to actually drill balls with different parameters. This way I get to see what 'really' happens whe
Leagues & Sport Bowling
Jump to new posts Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread by IronMike @ 02/21/18 03:40 PM

Bowling is stupid! Terrible night last night. Thought it was going to be fantastic. 246 in my first game and I was just burying stuff. My first game average is for whatever reason 13 pins lower than my other two games. So, some quick math, and
The Bowler's Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: Hype Versus Reality by djp1080 @ 02/21/18 03:25 PM

The VLS version I have is 1.0. By the way, Blueprint published an article you probably read titled "Bowling Ball Track Flare Explained" from 2012. I read it with much interest. If you follow their article, the pin to PAP distance doesn't se
The Bowler's Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: Hype Versus Reality by 82Boat69 @ 02/21/18 03:05 PM

I tried VLS a couple of years ago and got numbers similar to you. Back then, VLS only produced PSA drillings. I found the formulas to convert PSA to dual angles. Back then VLS only accepted generalized values, slow, medium, fast or low, medium, hi
The Bowler's Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: Hype Versus Reality by djp1080 @ 02/21/18 01:32 PM

I just plugged in your numbers into Storm's VLS spreadsheet and selected a Hy-Road 15 lb. ball. Went with slow ball speed, medium rev. rate, low axis tilt and in between axis rotation for medium length lanes with medium oil volume. Selected a strong
Leagues & Sport Bowling
Jump to new posts Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread by mmalsed @ 02/21/18 01:29 PM

I don't know what it is about practice . . . I started where I left off from last week, which was a struggle. It was still REALLY windy down here in the Inland Empire and, thus, dry. I figured that my approach to getting SOMETHING last week would be
The Bowler's Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: Hype Versus Reality by mmalsed @ 02/21/18 01:20 PM

I would suggest using an app like Trackmyroll I get you - I don't necessarily disagree with you. My only problem is that I don't have empirical or objective evidence to this. All I know is that sometimes one ball works better than the other - is it
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Informal poll
by champ - Yesterday at 07:05 PM
Time to throw the ball
by soulman327 - Yesterday at 05:53 PM
Hype Versus Reality
by 82Boat69 - Yesterday at 01:50 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Fin09 - Yesterday at 12:19 PM
Made it.
by RGR - 02/18/18 07:56 AM
Ball choice and strategy for Wolf pattern
by champ - 02/17/18 10:15 PM
My Senior League wants to change Houses
by BOSStull - 02/17/18 05:21 AM
tennis elbow
by BOSStull - 02/17/18 03:58 AM
12 pound ball?
by W9JAB - 02/15/18 02:52 PM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 02/11/18 07:19 AM
Brunswick "The Grizz" Vintage Urethane ball
by nord - 02/11/18 04:20 AM
Hammer Purple Pearl Urethane
by nord - 02/10/18 03:24 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.